CARE Learning Center
一道本不卡免费高清The CARE Learning Center supports students of all modalities, degree levels, and disciplines in developing their academic skills. It is a place free from judgment where the processes of critical inquiry and incremental improvement are valued above all else.
Students are encouraged to visit the CARE Learning Center during any stage of the writing process, including but not limited to brainstorming, outlining, researching, drafting, and revising. Although staff does not offer editing or proofreading services, the CARE Learning Center is happy to assist students in honing the skills that will allow them to polish and copyedit independently. Students are welcome whether their assignments are due tomorrow, next week, or at the end of the semester.
Spring 2020 Tutoring Hours
- Monday: 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
一道本不卡免费高清Tutoring hours are updated on a semester basis. For an up-to-date schedule or to make an appointment, use (login and initial registration required). For more instructions on how to make an appointment, go to Tutoring Appointments.
For general inquiries, the CARE Learning Center is open during the following hours:
Monday-Thursday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
一道本不卡免费高清The CARE Learning Center is closed on all holidays observed by the college.
Pasadena Campus: Building 45, A105
Office phone: (626) 529-8264
Email: [email protected]
Please note: The CARE Learning Center generally does not make appointments over the phone; please use to make an appointment.
How to Register
In order to access OTAS (Online Tutoring Appointment System), students need to register. For a video tutorial on how to register using the student gateway, click . For a video tutorial on how to register through the CARE Learning Center website, click .
How to Make, Change, or Cancel an Appointment
Once students have registered, they can make, change, or cancel an appointment using OTAS. Video tutorials on how to make, change, and cancel an appointment are below:
For a video tutorial on how to make an appointment, click .
For a video tutorial on how to change an appointment, click .
一道本不卡免费高清For a video tutorial on how to cancel an appointment, click .
How to Use the Waiting List
Students are able to join a waitlist for a specific date and time if that time has already been booked by another student. For more information on how to use the waitlist, click .
Looking for the Student Tutoring Request Form?
In order to expedite appointment booking, the CARE Learning Center has replaced the Student Tutoring Request Form with OTAS (Online Tutoring Appointment System). Please use OTAS to make a tutoring appointment. For information on how to use OTAS, please view the video tutorials above.
Working with Tutors
- Be prepared: To receive the best support possible during tutoring sessions, students are encouraged to bring any questions they may have as well as their assignment guidelines, course syllabus, books, notes and existing drafts of their assignment.
- What to expect: Tutoring appointments are 50 minutes long and are led by professionals who are trained to address global issues before local issues. In other words, tutors will prioritize argument, structure, and organization over details at the sentence level. Students are not required to submit work ahead of time. If students do submit work before the appointment, tutors will access the written work at the time of the appointment, so that the tutor and student can review it together.
- Online tutoring: Online tutoring appointments will be conducted using OTAS. After a student makes an appointment, the student needs to log into OTAS at the time of the appointment and click on the appointment. There will be a link to get onto the online platform for the appointment. For a video tutorial on how this works, click .
In-person/Online Appointment Policies
- Students may schedule an appointment at least two (2) hours before the target tutoring appointment time.
- Students may schedule one appointment a week, unless there is a need for extra accommodations.
- Students can work with tutors for a total of 50 minutes per tutorial appointment.
- If a student arrives more than 15 minutes late for their scheduled appointment, the tutorial appointment may be counted as a missed appointment.
- Cancellation of any appointment must occur at least two (2) hours before the scheduled appointment. If an appointment is not canceled in time or the student fails to appear for an appointment, the appointment may be counted as a missed appointment.
- Students who miss three (3) scheduled appointments forfeit their ability to schedule future appointments for the current academic session (7-weeks). In this case, the student’s account will have a hold placed on it and will need to contact the CARE Learning Center to have the hold lifted from their account.
- Assessments: Tutors are not permitted to assist students with midterm, take-home, or final assessments without written and signed permission from their instructor. The instructor may also email [email protected] to give written permission.
- Academic Integrity: Tutors may only assist students with their original work. Students are not allowed to pass off work of others as their own in any manner. Plagiarism is a serious violation of Pacific Oaks Academic Integrity policy found in the .
Tutoring Options by Modality
- Pasadena campus students: Students have the option of receiving in-person and online tutoring. In-person tutoring takes place at the Pasadena campus in building 45, room A105. Online tutoring appointments are serviced from the CARE Learning Center located in Pasadena, California and are conducted through OTAS. For more information on online tutoring sessions, click .
- San Jose campus students: Students have the option of receiving online tutoring from the CARE Learning Center located in Pasadena, California. Online appointments are conducted through OTAS. For more information on online tutoring sessions, click .
- Northern California instructional site students: Students have the option of receiving online tutoring from the CARE Learning Center located in Pasadena, California. Online appointments are conducted through OTAS. For more information on online tutoring sessions, click .
- Southern California instructional site students: Students have the option of receiving in-person and online tutoring. In-person tutoring takes place at the Pasadena campus in building 45, room A105. Online tutoring appointments are serviced from the CARE Learning Center located in Pasadena, California and are conducted through OTAS. For more information on online tutoring sessions, click .
- Online students: You have the option of receiving in-person and online tutoring. In-person tutoring takes place at the Pasadena campus in building 45, room A105. Online tutoring appointments are serviced from the CARE Learning Center located in Pasadena, California and are conducted through OTAS. For more information on online tutoring sessions, click .
Services and Resources
一道本不卡免费高清The CARE Learning Center offers a variety of resources and services to students in all modalities.
One-on-one Tutoring Appointments
Meet with a tutor for a 50-minute, one-on-one tutoring appointment. Students have the option to meet with a tutor in person in Pasadena, California or online using . For more information, go to Tutoring Appointments.
Online and In-person Workshops
The CARE Learning Center offers workshops on relevant topics throughout the semester. Keep an eye out for workshop announcements!
一道本不卡免费高清Some of the past workshops that the CARE Learning Center has offered are:
- Basics at P.O.
- Critical Reading Strategies
- Types of Writing Assignments at P.O.
- The Writing Process
- Writing Basics
- Literature Reviews
- Introductions and Theses
- Body Paragraphs
For handouts, videos, and presentations on academic study skills and writing, click .
For tutoring assistance outside of the CARE Learning Center's hours, there is an online service that is available to all students. Students can get this service by clicking on any of their courses on Canvas and then clicking on the "Smarthinking Online Tutoring" link. Smarthinking offers math and writing support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Master's Thesis Support
Students working on their master’s thesis are strongly encouraged to work closely and regularly with their thesis chair and attend the support course for their thesis. The CARE Learning Center offers limited thesis support; thesis students can make appointments with the CARE Learning Center up to three times per academic session (7 weeks). For other in-person and online appointment policies, go to Tutoring Appointments.
一道本不卡免费高清The CARE Learning Center can collaborate with students in the following manner:
- Brainstorm ideas
- Check for coherence and flow of ideas
- Review the paper’s rhetorical organization
- Integrate quotes and/or paraphrases
- Identify common grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors with the student so that the student can self-edit their paper
- Support with general APA formatting and citations*
一道本不卡免费高清*The library has many resources for specific APA help. Thesis students are strongly encouraged to work with the library on any APA-related questions early in the thesis-writing process. For the library's website, click .
The CARE Learning Center cannot:
- check the quality of the content (i.e. anything that requires field-specific/content knowledge)
- guarantee that a thesis will pass
- answer for the thesis chair or committee
The CARE Learning Center also does not provide line-by-line editing support and will work with students so that they can identify common writing errors on their own. A student can submit up to 10 pages of work that they would like to cover during an appointment. While not all 10 pages may be covered during the 50-minute appointment, this will help focus the appointment to create an optimal collaborative environment.
Mission and Vision
The CARE Learning Center seeks to uphold Pacific Oaks College’s core values of respect, diversity, social justice, and inclusion by collaborating with students to become better writers and communicators.
Our mission is to help students adapt to the academic learning environment. We aim to engage students in their learning process, to improve their self-efficacy for writing, and to help them become more effective communicators. We provide the resources and services to gain the necessary knowledge, tools, and skills to write and communicate effectively. We believe that mastering writing is a life-long process and will enrich students’ academic, professional, and personal lives.